THE CANADIAN PRESS/Codie McLachlan
MP for Saskatoon–University, Sask.
First elected to Parliament in 2004.
- Economic Policy: elimination of capital gains tax and corporate subsidies, reduction of personal and corporate income tax, trade deals with UK/Australia/New Zealand, match U.S. regulations, tax credit for private school tuition
- Social Policy: defends definition of marriage as one man and one woman, supports a federal “Parental Bill of Rights,” would introduce legislation to ban gender-selective abortion, supports a “Conscience Bill of Rights”
- Opposed to legalization of marijuana, physician-assisted death, gender identity legislation, and a national price on carbon
- Does not believe man-made climate change is a real threat
- Supports CBC privatization
- Firearms: repeal of mid-1990s legislation, creation of a prohibited persons list, permission for off-duty police officers to carry firearms
- Justice: supports use of notwithstanding clause to bring back mandatory minimum sentences
- Opposed to foreign aid funding that involves abortion
- Immigration: suspend immigration from countries linked to terrorism and Islamic extremism
- Energy: less federal regulation for electricity sector, accelerated pipeline approval
Brad Trost at the 2016 Conservative convention: