May 2, 2017 UPDATED 9:46amET
A closure motion is possible on the privilege debate surrounding access to the House of Commons on budget day, after Government House Leader Bardish Chagger gave notice yesterday. This would lead to a vote later today — with a 30-minute question period when the motion itself is moved — on referring the issue to the Standing Committee on Procedure and House Affairs.
MPs consider Senate amendments to Bill C-224, a private member’s bill offering criminal immunity for those seeking emergency assistance for an illegal drug overdose – either themselves or another person.
Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen attends Senate question period this afternoon. LISTEN LIVE ONLINE at 3:30pm ET / 12:30pm PT
- Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland discusses North American trade with members of the Commons international trade committee. LIVE ONLINE 3:30pm ET / 12:30pm PT
- The Senate ethics committee meets in camera this morning, amidst continuing questions on the future status of Senator Don Meredith.
- Former cabinet ministers Stéphane Dion and John McCallum appear at the foreign affairs committee to discuss their diplomatic appointments. Dion is the new ambassador to Germany and special envoy to the European Union, while McCallum is Canada’s new ambassador to China LIVE ONLINE 8:45am ET / 5:45am PT
- Madam Justice Adèle Kent, executive director of the National Judicial Institute, testifies on Bill C-337 at the status of women committee. Also appearing is Norman Sabourin, executive director of the Canadian Judicial Council.
- The transport committee continues to study aviation safety, with testimony from pilots and the airlines.
- The federal ethics and lobbying commissioners discuss their offices’ estimates at the ethics committee.