Thursday: Today in Politics
March 9, 2017 9:11amET
The Conservatives have an opposition day in the House of Commons, with a motion on tax benefits for military members:
That the House call on the government to show support and appreciation for the brave men and women serving in the Canadian Armed Forces by reversing its decision to take away from the soldiers fighting against ISIS the tax benefit which provides them with $1,500 to $1,800 per month for the hardship and risk associated with their deployment, and to retroactively provide the payment to members stationed at Camp Arifjan whose tax relief was cancelled as of September 1, 2016.
Debate continues on Bill C-323.
- Treasury Board President appears at the government operations committee to discuss estimates, while Fisheries and Oceans Minister Dominic LeBlanc does the same at the Commons fisheries committee. LIVE ONLINE 8:45am ET / 5:45am PT
- Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan also presents estimates this afternoon, to the defence committee. LIVE ONLINE 3:30pm ET / 12:30pm PT
- Democratic Institutions Minister Karina Gould briefs the procedure committee. LIVE ONLINE 12pm ET / 9am PT
- The trade committee hears evidence on Canada’s steel industry and the Trans-Pacific Partnership.
- Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould discusses delays in the criminal justice system at the Senate legal affairs committee. LIVE ONLINE 3:30pm ET / 12:30pm PT