Involved in broadcasting or want to be? Into Canadian politics and public affairs? Then we’d like to hear from you. CPAC offers challenging careers in a unique national public affairs broadcasting environment. Our broadcast center at the World Exchange Plaza in downtown Ottawa is a state-of-the-art facility just two blocks from the corridors of power — while Ottawa itself offers a quality of life that many feel is unparalleled.
CPAC is committed to the principle of employment equity. While remaining sensitive to the issue of fair and equitable treatment for all, we will seek to establish a workplace representative of the people we serve by implementing employment equity policies and procedures with respect to Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities and women (i.e. “the designated groups”).
POSITION: Production Assistant – Committees and Archives
The Cable Public Affairs Channel (CPAC) is Canada’s window on democracy. As the only national, bilingual media outlet focused exclusively on Canadian politics, CPAC is unique in the Canadian media landscape. Come be a part of our innovative, creative and nimble team.
CPAC is seeking an enthusiastic and meticulous individual to join our editorial team. Based in Ottawa, this position is a great opportunity for an aspiring political scientist, researcher, and/or journalist who welcomes new challenges and thrives in a fast-paced environment. The chosen individual will have excellent research and writing skills and knowledge of Canadian federal politics and parliamentary procedure.
This is an hourly contract position, approximately 30 hours per week.
- Under the direction of the Manager, Programming and the Manager, Digital Content, assist with the preparation of video of parliamentary committees and other proceedings for on-air broadcast and publication to CPAC’s website;
- View, research and describe committees and other parliamentary proceedings, ensuring the accuracy and integrity of descriptive text and other metadata;
- Work with CPAC’s translation team to ensure that descriptive text and other metadata is accurate and complete in both official languages
- Edit video of committee proceedings, ensuring that all quality standards are complied with;
- Assist with the researching, description, cataloguing and editing of archival video content as required;
- Maintain accurate activity logs and provide regular progress updates and reports;
- Assist with diagnosing and resolving technical problems.
QUALIFICATIONS (KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED):
- A post-secondary degree or diploma in political science, Canadian history, journalism or a related field, or equivalent related experience;
- A keen interest in current affairs and/or experience researching and writing about Canadian federal politics;
- Knowledge of Canadian parliamentary procedure and the institutions of democracy;
- Excellent writing skills, including demonstrated experience working with and adhering to a style manual (Canadian Press, MLA, etc.);
- Knowledge of computer system operation and maintenance, hardware and software;
- The ability to produce and edit content in both French and English is an asset; preference may be given to candidates who are fluently bilingual;
- Knowledge of video-editing principles and techniques is an asset;
- Experience working with video editing software, asset management tools, and/or databases is an asset;
- Ability to work flexible hours;
- Initiative, a strong work ethic, and the ability to plan, prioritize and organize workflow while adhering to tight deadlines;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills;
- Independence, self-motivation, and self-sufficiency;
- Willingness to upgrade editorial and technical skills as required;
- Promotes a work environment that recognizes, supports, respects and welcomes diversity of employees.
Director of Human Resources
1750-45 O’Connor Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 1A4
Fax: (613) 567-2741
EMAIL : email@example.com
CPAC is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.