THE CANADIAN PRESS/John Woods
Businessman and venture capitalist in Vancouver, B.C.
Former leadership candidate for the B.C. Conservatives.
- Elimination of corporate income tax, flat 15% personal income tax rate, raising of GST by four percentage points to nine per cent, downsizing of Canada Revenue Agency, ending of corporate subsidies
- Creation of the “Maple Leaf Account” to replace TFSAs, with $10,000 annual limit, more eligible investments, and $100,000 contribution limit
- Tiered security screening and “increased terrorist surveillance”
- Immigration: opposed to “values test” for citizenship, double the number of economic immigrants
- More infrastructure spending in northern Canada
- Professional social media and fundraising training for local EDAs
- Allow provinces to innovate in health care delivery while maintaining universality, including private insurance and services
- Federal transfers to be based on “equal needs” instead of “equal per capita” funding
- Quebec government to collect federal income tax in that province
- Supports legislation to prevent sex-selective abortion but is pro-choice
- Creation of a “bounty” system to combat opioid trafficking, along with stricter sentencing
- Firearms: proposals include scrapping the firearms advisory committee, removing regulatory power from the RCMP, and a streamlined classification system
Watch Peterson as part of PrimeTime Politics (April 6, 2017):